Friday, June 17, 2011

Deals of the Week (Impromptu Cooking Day)

When I went to Ingles on Wednesday I lucked up on a couple of great deals - a pound of reduced fat pork sausage for $1.69 and a dozen free range brown eggs for only $1 (pictured below).  The only problem?  They both needed to be used, like, immediately.


So I ended up spending a lot of yesterday afternoon in the kitchen.  I hardboiled a slew of the eggs for egg salad sandwiches and the rest went with some of the sausage for freezer breakfast burritos.  I was inspired by the recipe here at Money Saving Mom but did my own thing.  Then I made my sausage biscuit balls - you've probably seen this recipe before, with bisquik?  Seems like everyone knows it.  I do mine with 3 cups bisquik, about 12 oz. reduced fat sausage, 2 cups shredded cheddar, 1/4 cup parmesan, and around 1/2 cup milk.  Mix it up, roll into balls and bake at 350 for around 20-25 min. 


The finished product.  It's so easy and they freeze nicely - most of these ended up in the freezer.  I'm having a hard time focusing on meal planning since during the school year we eat so much in the dining hall, so it feels good to have some things in the freezer to pull out quickly for a hearty breakfast.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love those savings! Meals sound good too; I like brown eggs the best!
Love,
Dassa

Anonymous said...

Yum! You found some good deals and made some great things to keep on hand.
Love, Mom