Friday, April 06, 2012

Fabric on Canvas Bird Art

So, I've been working on this project in little bits for months.  Months.  Because in the evenings I'm either too tired to work on things or I'm trying to spend time with Matt.  So this was completed in 5-15 minute increments. 

The wall behind Piper's crib was totally blank.  I wanted something there because it's exactly where the glider faces, so I was staring at a blank wall a lot.  I also wanted something very affordable, and matching with the other fabrics and colors in her room.  Here's what I came up with:


Little birds on tree branches.  Decoupaged on canvas.  They were simple and affordable. I got the two pack of canvases at Wal-mart for $8 or $10. I had the fabric and the decoupage medium on hand, as well as the foam brush I used to apply it. I simply cut everything out of fabric, placed it on the canvas and brushed the decoupage stuff over it.  I freehanded the branches and leaves, but for the birds I found templates online.  The flowers are my beloved yo-yos.  I could make yo-yos all day long.  Well, maybe not, but I do enjoy them. 

The canvases had visible staples all around the edges so I hot glued bias binding around, and it looks a little wonky. I'm telling myself it adds to the homemade charm. (But I may rip it off and fix it later if it's driving me nuts.)



They are kind of intended to represent our family.  Matt and I are the larger blue birds, and the girls are the pink and purple birds.  These pictures are not great, but they are cute. 



You can also see the ribbon mobile I made and the framed scripture (Isaiah 30:29) above her crib.  The rain forest crib soother is not that cute, but handy.  Some sunny day soon I'll take pictures of all of her room and give a tour.

 
I'm linking this project up to:


The Shabby Nest

A Little Knick Knack

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE these pictures you made!! They are adorable and the fact that they represent your family is so dear!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. You did a great job!! Perfect for our little baby girls room!!
Love,
Dassa

Anonymous said...

These are so cute!